NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 2012 URBANSUBURBAN JURIED EXHIBITION & ART AUCTION
EXTENDED DEADLINE: JUNE 18
The Kansas City Jewish Museum of Contemporary Art (KCJMCA) is excited to announce UrbanSuburban VIII events this fall, including the UrbanSuburban Art Auction, Saturday night, October 27, 2012, at the Epsten Gallery at Village Shalom. This is one of Kansas City’s premiere annual art events, and to make it even more exciting, KCJMCA is instituting a jurying/selection process and, for the first time, opening a submission call to visual artists everywhere. UrbanSuburban is an opportunity for artists to have their work catalogued and on exhibition during the opening of the fall art season.
The key to UrbanSuburban’s success is exceptional works of art contributed by professional artists. These select works form the core of a full-color, glossy catalogue and a salon-style exhibition at the Epsten Gallery from September 9 — October 27, 2012. (The night of the auction is October 27th).
In acknowledgment of your support, all selected artists have an opportunity to share in the success of the event by opting to receive a portion of the proceeds raised from auction sales. The details of this information are outlined below.
UrbanSuburban is the place to be and to be seen. We hope you will join us in this celebration of outstanding artists.
- Please submit high-quality color images of artwork, a professional resume, and an image attribution list for consideration. DEADLINE: JUNE 18
- All complete applications will be reviewed by a jury, and all artists will be notified of their status via email by June 26, 2012.
UPON ACCEPTANCE OF ARTWORK:
- KCJMCA retains the right to display and reproduce images of work accepted in the exhibit for publicity and promotional purposes. Individual artists retain copyright to their work.
- Selected works will be published in the UrbanSuburban catalogue, an 80-page, full-color book with a long shelf life! It contains listings of all art objects, organizational information, and advertising.
SHIPMENT/DELIVERY OF ARTWORK:
- Accepted works may be shipped or hand delivered during regular gallery hours, Tuesday to Friday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., between August 28 — August 31, unless other arrangements are made with the gallery in advance.
- All shipping must be pre-paid. No C.O.D. packages will be accepted.
- Submit only installation-ready artwork.
- Insurance/Liability coverage during shipping is the responsibility of the artist unless special arrangements have been made in advance with the gallery. KCJMCA does not assume any responsibility for loss or damage during transit.
- All submitted works will be handled with the utmost of care during the exhibition and auction.
- Artwork included in the auction will be on exhibition from September 9 until the night of the auction on October 27, 2012.
- One work from each selected artist will be chosen. Exceptions will be made for jewelry and Judaica, which may be entered as sets or editions, and smaller works of art.
- Artists may submit work up to 48x48x48" and curatorial selections will be based on the examples submitted.
- A 100% donation of artwork is greatly appreciated. Participating artists who give at this level will receive a special invitation to attend the private UrbanSuburban Prelude Patron Party.
- Participating artists may also alternately select to receive one of the following percentages of the winning auction bid amount: 20%, 30%, or 40%. (This percentage will be based on the winning bid amount regardless of retail value.)
- KCJMCA will decide which works will be entered into the silent and live auctions. Bidding on all works in the silent and live auctions will begin at 25% of retail valuation.
- All participating artists are invited to attend the UrbanSuburban Art Auction.
All sales will be confirmed as final at the close of the auction on 10 / 27 / 12.
An application is considered complete if the following items are submitted:
1. COVER LETTER:
In the Cover Letter Section, please include only the following:
- Artist Name
- Artist Statement (if applicable)
- Indicate whether you wish to give 100% donation of your work, otherwise identify which percentage you would like to receive back from the highest bid on your work (20%, 30%, or 40% of the proceeds raised)
2. RESUME UPLOAD (Limit: 3 pages):
Resumes should include (but are not limited to) exhibition history, education, a list of public and private collections in which your work is included (if applicable), and a list of past public and private commissions (if applicable). Resume document should be labeled "lastnamefirstnameresume":
3. IMAGE UPLOAD (Limit: 3 images):
Digital images should be 300 dpi, JPEG or TIFF files, sized no smaller than 5x7”. The image of the selected work will be published in the exhibition/auction catalogue. Image files should be labeled "lastnamefirstnameimage01":
(ie. smithrobertimage01.jpeg, smithrobertimage02.jpeg, etc.)
4. IMAGE ATTRIBUTION LIST UPLOAD (Limit: 3 images):
List should be numbered corresponding to images and detailed to include the following:
- Artist Name
- Artwork Title
- Retail Market Value